Popular Posts

Monday, December 13, 2010

Divide and Conquer

Here's the problem with having twins: THERE ARE TWO OF THEM!
What this seems to mean is that whenever you feel you have gotten through the most recent challenge with one, the other one decides that it's his turn to bring new and complicated problems to light.
For example, they continually switch places when it comes to "good sleeper" and "bad sleeper". So, just when Ronan finally becomes a better sleeper, Mason decides he should probably wake up every 1-2 hours....Perhaps it's teething, perhaps they're growing, but all I know is that I'm not sleeping.
So, if Ronan is sleeping poorly and we decide it's because he's teething, and then he recovers does that really mean that it's Mason's turn to teeth? I mean, really?
I thought for awhile that having one doing well and the other not was better...you know, at least they're not both nightmares, but now I'm wondering. Wouldn't it be easier if they were both nightmares at the same time and then there could be periods of time where they BOTH recover and I get to sleep. Here's hoping, I guess.
I suppose it could be the holidays getting to them...I forget each year how much I love/hate this time of year...it's a lot like how women forget how awful pregnancy and child birth are after the baby comes and then they are crazy enough to do it all over again....yeah, just like that.
At least there are cute photo ops this time of year, though....
There's something almost gothic about this picture. The boys all look so serious...I love the picture, but it doesn't quite have that "Happy Holidays" feel :) This one's pretty cute, though:
Kyan went up to Santa and asked him, very politely to go outside and see his sleigh and reindeer. The clever Santa responded that they only came with him on Christmas eve...lucky for him Kyan didn't ask him how on earth he got to the party from the North Pole then.
We have a new Christmas tradition thanks to my cousin Amy, it's called the Elf on the Shelf. It's a cute little elf that hangs out up on the bookshelf and watches Kyan's behavior. He then reports back to Santa at the North Pole each night, so when Kyan gets up in the morning he is always in a different place. Kyan loves it. Last night he spent about 10+ minutes before bed unburdening himself to his elf. He told him all about his day, and why he made his good and bad choices. He told him the things he likes, dislikes, wants for Christmas, doesn't want to eat, does want to eat, etc., and he kept asking here and there, "and, how do you fly to the North Pole, I want to know?"
This one's a little too clever for his own good. I'm not sure how long this whole Santa thing will last for him....he loves the fun of it, but he seriously seems to be on to us already.
Mason and Ronan still believe, at least :)
Anyway, I had to rant for a moment as I begin the day with that familiar pounding behind my eyeballs. It seems that whenever the sleep deprivation gets out of control I begin to fantasize about single life...no children, no husband, no dog...just me and a whole lot of sleep filled nights. It feels like a nice fantasy for a few seconds until I realize that I need that husband, those children, and that crazy dog to be happy...if only the sleep filled nights could grace me with their presence....
Happy Holidays from our sleepless household to yours!

1 comment: