Popular Posts

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Life Inside the Womb

I have, to present to you, unequivocal proof that a child's behavior inside the womb will be expressed outside the womb as well. This, my friends, is Ronan:

This picture was taken during the second of my five pre-delivery hospital visits. This visit, thankfully, did not last more than a few hours. When the technician took this picture we both laughed for a good minute at least. She said she had never seen an ultrasound picture like it. In fact, during one of my later hospital visits I mentioned the picture to a different ultrasound technician and she had actually seen and heard all about it. Apparently Ronan's antics were passed around the staff room for a good laugh. 
That, in and of itself, is a very clear indication of where Ronan is going in life. This boy has huge, saucer-like eyes that bug out at any provocation:



In addition to his adorable eyes and their expressiveness, this boy can talk like no other 11 week old baby I've ever met! He lies on the floor under his little gym toy and goes to town, babbling away like he has an audience hanging on his every word. When I change his diaper his legs go straight up into the air, just like in the ultrasound photo. Those legs... I'm telling you, this boy loves his legs. They are LONG legs for a little guy and they are super skinny, too. When he's sitting in his bouncer he kicks those legs so hard that his socks come right off. It's as if he is certain he will get somewhere eventually. 
From day one, this boy made us laugh. Just one look at his cute little bug eyes and the expressions he can come up with is enough to send us over the edge. Not to mention the way he FEROCIOUSLY attacks whatever comes near his mouth...whether it be a pacifier, a nipple, Kyan's nose, Mason's arm...he even talks like he is trying to somehow suckle the air in front of his face!
 
What is most amazing, however, about this little guy is that he seems to be a very, very old soul. A woman in an ice cream shop recently said that to me as soon as she glanced his way; she said it in surprise and wonder. I usually don't listen to the myriad of comments I get about the twins from the entire population of our humble city, but this one mirrored my own thoughts. 
Ronan seems completely at ease with the world. It seems like he has been here and done this many times before. I mean, he was doing the pike position IN THE WOMB. If that's not proof that he's been here before then I don't know what is.
Ronan is the mellow one, or so we say, but when this boy is hungry there is NOTHING mellow about him. He screams with a ferocity and in a pitch that brings me running every time. The other day I was positive that something was attacking him, even though I knew that he had been crying in hunger just moments before. I find this to be more proof that he has done this before. It's like he knows that useless crying doesn't get him anywhere, and that a little fussing is way too easy to ignore. So, the boy doesn't fuss or cry unless he means business.
I knew when I saw that picture on the ultrasound screen that we would have a few laughs with that little guy (and, yes, at that point there was NO question as to his gender...) Here's to my little clown...Ronan Thomas.


No comments:

Post a Comment